Friday, February 18, 2011

an Uncommon book.

"Every family ought to be...a little church, consecrated to Christ and wholly influenced and governed by His rules. And family education and order are some of the chief means of grace. If these fail, all other means are likely to prove ineffectual."

--Jonathan Edwards

I am reading Marriage to a Difficult Man: the Uncommon Romance of Jonathan and Sarah Edwards. I don't even have any words to describe how much I am loving it, and I'm not even to page 100 yet. I'll be writing more about it in the days to come, but I wanted to share this quote today.

The concept of "family education and order" being a "chief means of grace" is one that I could meditate on for years. I used to hear about something being a "means of grace," during my Catholic-upbringing years. Grace, of course, being God's "unmerited favor." Now, if I had to choose anything that my home has *not* been, it would be one of Order. Probably my biggest struggle, nope, Definitely my biggest struggle. But I think we did pretty well on the "family education" front. I look at my six grown children (really, people, there are eight--the last two are almost-eighteen and sixteen) and am pleased at how they turned out. But I readily admit that I am too-much married to the world and not to the Kingdom. Lots of work to do there. I really do need to take down all those "no trespassing" signs I've put in God's way.

I am thinking that this book is very timely for me. Sarah Edwards managed to raise eleven children while being married to a famous preacher, with all that entailed. (for instance, before the days of reputable inns, travelers preferred to stay at the homes of the local preachers. Many times Sarah hosted multiple guests at once, and often. There is no complaint of "busyness" I could manage to use as an excuse that would come close to what she had in her life, to account for my lack of discipline.

So, it's back to the book, and I will share as I go along!

No comments :