Sunday, November 25, 2007

Happy Birthday, Alvin Fernald!

Wow.

My "baby" is thirteen years old today.

What am I supposed to do with that information?

Almost ten years after my sixth child, Blackeyed Susan arrived. We prayed for Alvin, so Susan wouldn't be spoiled. The Lord was gracious, and Alvin arrived 19 months later.

The ultrasound said that Alvin would be 7 1/2 pounds. I knew better--he was sitting 'way up under my ribcage, and ended somewhere around my knees. He came out ten pounds, five-and-a-half ounces. Charming told me I didn't have to add the half-ounce. All of you women know that that is my Battle Citation, my Bronze Star, if you will. You will also understand why I bopped Charming in the nose for even suggesting it.

We called Alvin our Magnum Opus--our "great work." He also ended up being our Final Work in that department...

But what a finish! He is so handsome (looked like Charming from the beginning), loves sports, loves the History Channel, and the one that does programs on bridges and other huge things (natch!), and a boy to make his Mommy proud.

Even if he almost blew it the very first night.

Charming had gone home to the other kiddies. The lights were out. I was drifting off to sleep when I heard a strange noise coming from right beside me. It surely couldn't be; but it was:

Alvin. Snoring.

I prayed right then for his future wife.

No comments :