Saturday, June 28, 2008

Twisted

I was never a video game player. I've never played Pac-man or Space Invaders or Tetris. I *do* do a few computer games--Spider Solitaire, for instance. And I'm a madwoman for Mahjongg.

A couple of years ago, a neighborhood friend turned me on to Text Twist. I got to be pretty good at it (tho' it *is* rather addictive, and can take time out of your day...) and got up to 400,000 once.

Playing it the other day, I was getting close to 400,000, and decided to see how far I could go. This meant that I couldn't turn off the computer at night (the game doesn't have a "save" feature). Now, in my defense, I didn't sit all day staring at the screen; my children ate all three meals, *and* I caught up the laundry. Here I am, hitting the million mark:
And here is where I landed, last night at midnight:
Then I turned off the computer. I mean, there isn't a "hall of fame" for this game. I am Officially Retired.
The day was full of "twisted" things. I stepped on my glasses:
Fortunately, I had an old pair. The "top" part (the single-vision part) works really well. I can see to drive and cook and stuff. The Bifocal part, however, is Sadly Lacking. It was my first bifocal pair, and now the computer screen is really wiggly. Thank goodness I don't use my glasses to read books--I'm better with my eyes alone within twelve inches or so. I also go "naked" while hand-quilting, so I did a fair bit last evening (between text-twisting, of course!)
I had a difficult time with said eight-year-old glasses at the Bi-annual Quilt Show yesterday. I couldn't stand far enough away from the quilts for the glasses to work, and almost had to put my nose on the displays to see them without them. (do all the signs PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THE QUILTS mean noses, too?)
One more "twisted" thing about my day: I didn't spend any money at the quilt show. (insert Twilight Zone theme here...) Twenty quilt shop vendors hawking their wares at Reduced Quilt Show Prices and I come out empty-handed? Never been seen before. I just kept thinking--I could buy gasoline instead of more fabric.
I have an appointment today at 5:30 pm for an eye exam. It's my first time with vision insurance--gotta love $15 copays each for exam AND glasses, unless I go over the $125 allowance for frames. Still, my last glasses were about $380. Hoping to get by for under $100.
This last part isn't "twisted": I found a brownie box camera at the thrift store. Violet has always wanted one. I called her to ask, and she wondered whether film would still be available. I thought probably so, as Everything Retro has been picked up again, and *somewhere* on the internet, you can find anything, right?
Isn't it cute?
This morning, kids and I are off to my Daddy's nursing home for a picnic. My two brothers and wives are coming, tho' Charming has to work. They are providing free Family Pictures, so Daddy will have a new one to put on his shelf. So I'm Off to Get Beautiful (in my eight-year old glasses)!



No comments :