Thursday, June 07, 2007

Addendum to Previous Post

Okay, so reading over the post below, I sound a little defensive. Okay, Quite A Bit defensive.

Charming (one of whose major jobs in this marriage is to Talk Me Down From Ledges) made me realize that most, if not all people who pose the question "describe yourself," are not trying to Degrade Motherhood and Marriage. Maybe *they* don't take the time to pose the question exactly as they want it answered.

How easy it would be, Charming says, if , when asked to describe myself, I reply, "what would you like to know?" That way, the questioner could say, "what kind of books do you like to read? what do you like to do when you have a day by yourself? what do you like to do on vacation?" and I would not intimate from their *tone,* "you loser, aren't you anything but a baby factory? do you just like to hide behind your husband, you mousey good-for-nothing?"

See. Talking Me Down From The Ledge Once Again.

That's why I love this man.

2 comments :

D said...

Hi there!
I just popped over here after seeing your little avatar on Lunchbox...it caught my eye. I read your 2 most recent posts and loved them!
My littles are causing a ruckus right now so I have to go, but I plan to pop back over soon and read more. Amen to being who you are because of the people in your life! I have said the very same thing to my DH. "Who cares who I WOULD be without the people, I LOVE being the wife and mother...."
Smiles,
Sunydazy

ztoamom said...

I am quite simply delighted that you will be receiving the apron I made. I read your last two posts and I see we have an interesting number of things in common. You can link to my xanga site from my hey-wait-for-me blog here and learn a little bit more about me so you won't feel too uncomfortable about me knowing your location in this big world.
Congratulations - you are going to look smashing in your apron.