Thursday, July 03, 2008

Oh, yeah, Baby!

MSNBC has posted a Citizenship test that you can take for fun. Here are my results:

You answered 100% of questions correctly.
Oh, yeah, baby!
I notice, however, that all of the questions have to do with History dates or History facts. Not to pooh-pooh the homeschool mantra that "that is no way to learn history/history learned that way will be soon-forgotten," I am thirty-five years "out" from high school, and, of course, some of those questions I learned in fourth-grade civics class.
I am certainly teaching my children from Good Books--they are what makes history "come alive." But I have found, especially in my homeschooling experience, that the Facts and the Dates are where you place the Great Stories. Don't forget the penchant of homeschooling families to have a Timeline around the perimeter of their dining rooms!
Okay. Down off my soapbox. Time to toot my own horn!
Challenge to my family peeps to do the test yourselves!

No comments :